“We have forgotten how to be good guests, how to walk lightly on the earth as its other creatures do.” –Barbara Ward
As we celebrate Earth Day, we are reminded to be kinder to our planet—today and every day. In this post, we take a closer look at how DAC is working to reduce our carbon footprint. We’ll also explore the daily choices we can make as individuals to build a more sustainable lifestyle. Ready to go green? Let’s dive in!
Eco-friendly initiatives at DAC
Long before working from home became our new normal, we worked hard to make every DAC office as green as possible. We have already implemented several eco-friendly strategies across our offices, including:
- Using reusable and/or compostable glasses, mugs, plates, cutlery, and straws
- Stopped purchasing products in plastic containers where possible
- Promoting proper recycling in the office
- “Think before you print” to reduce paper consumption
- Switching off lights when not in use; using timers and motion sensors to reduce energy waste; upgraded many lightbulbs to halogen or LED for longevity
- Switching off power to equipment when not in use; avoiding leaving things plugged in unnecessarily
- Partnering with the Electronic Recycling Association (ERA) to donate and recycle old IT equipment, including computers, laptops, printers, monitors, and cables
- Buying in bulk to avoid excessive plastic waste
- Managing office thermostat to save energy
- Improving indoor air quality with plants
What else will we be doing?
When we’re able to travel again, we will be mindful about our travel choices. While we work very effectively remotely, we recognize the value of in-person connection. When we decide to travel going forward, DAC will donate money for every mile we fly to The Coalition for Rainforest Nations to help offset our carbon footprint.
How can YOU make a difference?
Earth Day efforts don’t end in the DAC offices. We encourage our employees and our community at large to make more eco-friendly choices in their day-to-day lives—every small step counts! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- 💡Be mindful of what you throw away. Can it be donated? Recycled? Upcycled? Composted? The dumpster should be the last resort
- 🛍️ Bring reusable bags to the grocery store—stash them in your car or by the door so they’re always on hand
- ♻️ Swap single-use plastics such as sandwich bags, cling wrap, and straws for reusable alternatives like silicone snack bags, beeswax wrap, and metal straws
- 💄 Green your beauty routine—switch to personal care and cosmetic products with ingredients that are friendlier on both the environment and your body
- ❎ Unsubscribe from unwanted emails—a single standard email can leave a 4g carbon footprint
Looking for more ways to go green at home and beyond? Check out our 40 tips for eco-friendly living. Together we can make an impact!